Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I finally caved...

When I was packing for this magnificent journey I basically packed my entire summer wardrobe, cause you know, Australia is known for being warm and tropical, right? I checked what the weather would be like in Sydney and noticed that it did drop down to the mid-50s in May/June but being from Buffalo I thought that was amazing... when it hits 50 degrees in Buffalo you break out the flip flops and summer dresses and head to the beach.

Not the same for Sydney.

For those of you who aren't aware, the seasons are opposite here in Sydney - our summer is Australia
Fall/Winter. Yes while all you Americans are enjoying 80 degree weather and laying by your pools, I am sitting in my room bundled up with sweatpants, a hoodie, socks, and a HEATER. Yup, you heard me, I need a heater in Australia.

me in my Buffalo shirt with a heater. tonights temp: 60 degrees. what is wrong with me?
Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fall season but this completely threw me off. I'm from Buffalo! Why am I freezing in 60 degree weather? I guess it's safe to say that I am slowly but surely being converted into a true Aussie.

One of the perks of this chilly weather? I get to see the trees change pretty colours twice this year! I went around and took some shots of campus in celebration of the pretty-ness.




Uni is basically a concrete jungle so being able to see some colour makes the walk to class much more enjoyable.

On another note I am slowly but surely recovering from my pneumonia stint. To be honest I think my mind is more prepared than my body. I'm so tempted to get back into the swing of things and travel around a bit more but my body still can barely handle a trip to Woolys (the grocery store). So in my spare time I've been watching I Love Lucy and even created an Australian bucket list for the month that I have left here. Here's a little sneak peek of what I plan to do while I'm still in this beautiful country....

-whale watching
-visit the aquarium/madame tussauds/ sydney eye tower (tallest tower in Sydney)
-visit chinatown
-check out Bondi Beach and the Bondi markets - maybe try out some long-boarding like a real Aussie
-Paddy's markets - they're supposed to be amazing!
-go ice skating in the shopping centre (yupp there's an ice rink INSIDE the mall, how cool is that?)
-hit up the jazz festival
-hike a National Park or two
-Sydney Botanical Gardens
-see Lady Gaga (June 20th - yay!)
-check out an Australian Art Museum
-visit the infamous Luna Park
-walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge
-watch Our Lips Are Sealed (Mary Kate & Ashley movie about Australia - its a must for me and my friends)
-try fairy bread (a popular treat at Australian kid's birthday parties)
-go to darling harbour for dinner and watch the fireworks
-eat Kangaroo & crocodile

Exactly one month, 3 papers, a presentation, and a Marketing final stand between me and finishing this bucket list. Bring it on, Sydney!


No comments:

Post a Comment