Sunday, March 4, 2012

HEAPS. ROCK MELONS. MONA VALE.

One of the things that I love most about living in Australia is being able to get up and go to the beach whenever I want.

For instance today.... wasn't planning on doing much besides lounging by the pool, but 1PM rolls around and my housemate is like "hey wanna go the beach?" Of course I jumped at it. I mean it doesn't sound too glamorous but if I wanna go lay by the beach all day, all I need is $4 and my bathing suit and I'm there! It's nice for once to live this laid back lifestyle that people here live.

In that light, today I decided to head to Mona Vale Beach with my housemates Alex and Ben and a few of their buddies. We didn't end up getting there til late afternoon but the scenery was still so gorgeous. Compared to Bondi, Mona Vale is more secluded and less filled with tourists, hence it was a lot more peaceful.



The waves, however, weren't so nice. Like I'm totally down to learn to surf but I was maybe 5 feet into the water and got pounded by a wave, I don't know HOW I'm going to manage surfing if I get the chance to learn how.

After laying out for a bit one of the guys said that there was a spot where we could cliff dive. Now I wasn't totally keen on cliff diving when he said it but I was down to take a look! After hiking for about 20 minutes we finally made it to the top of the cliff. We couldn't dive because the waves were too dangerous today but it was really cool seeing the beach from that high and just enjoying the moment.


There was a rope we could climb down but I was not feeling too swift haha. Btw, housemate Ben on the right


Right when we left the beach it started pouring rain, luckily. All in all it was a fun day! I also got to learn a little more Aussie lingo too!

KEEN- "are you keen to go shopping?" AKA "would you want to go shopping?"
HEAPS - as in having heaps of fun... heaps means "many or a lot of"
ROCK MELON - cantaloupe
SUNNIES - sunglasses
POPPERS - juice boxes
HOT CHIPS - french fries

They also use "s" instead of "z"s in a lot of words like organize and apologize. Australians also use the words "reckon" and "eh" like true southerners and Canadians back home haha. Another funny thing I learned is that people around here call aluminum foil "aluminium foil" .. pronounced AL-U-MIN-EE-UM. I absolutely love love love learning the different kinds of lingo and slang. It makes the experience here that much more interesting.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment