Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Wait... I've been here for a month?

YUP! Today marks my official month of living in Australia. Crazy isn't it?


I know I haven't been here THAT long, like come on, I still have 3 months left. But I can't believe how fast time is going, and I still have so much to do!

Classes are going well. I had my first group presentation in Marketing today and that went really good! I got a 9/10 on my first Australian Lit quiz AND I actually read a book for class COVER TO COVER. It was a book about a white Australian man in the 1800s who has an affair with his aboriginal servent. How scandelous! We're now reading poems by some famous Australia poet. They're not bad but I really dislike poetry so I can't wait for this week to be over so we can move on to the next book "Growing Up Asian in Australia" ... ya jealous Danny Bush? Hahahah.

My first paper for History is due Thursday and I have a paper due for Aus Lit and a test in Marketing before break, so I've got lots of stuff going on. On top of that my internship starts this Thursday and I'm super pumped! I can't wait to see what I'll be doing and all that. Yay international experience!

Me and a few friends are also booking a few day trips for Spring Break. We're going to visit Hunter Valley, one of Australia's top wineries; go dolphin watching, hike in the Blue Mountains, and go to this Easter show one of our Australian friends was talking about! I'm also thinking of doing the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb with someone I met in class. It's a tad expensive but you only live once, right?

That brings me to another point, money. My oh my is Australia expensive! Seriously, it kills me to grocery shop. Living on pb&j, pasta, and scrambled eggs isn't quite what I like to do but I have to do it if I wanna do all these fun "once in a lifetime" trips! The way I think of it is, I'll be able to one day eat like a normal human being again, but how many times will I be able to dive in the Great Barrier Reef or climb hundreds of feet to the top of a famous bridge? Never. Thank goodness I brought my Disney Princess Gummy Vitamins along! I figure as long as I stay on my budget (which has been working out well by the way) and not waste money on dumb stuff I should be fine. On the plus side I'll be coming home with an experience that not a lot of people get to have. And that's something to be appreciative of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment